Are you the person you want to be?
Do you feel you have much more to offer? Do you feel that life is passing you by? Do you want to do more in your life, live life to the full?
What would you say if you were told you’re not just the product of circumstance? That you do have a choice, that those choices have helped make you who you are, and what you have done up to now.
Are you thinking,
“What me, you must be joking? If I had a choice it would be quite different”
Put away those pitiful, power-leaching thoughts; because you do have a choice to be the person you want to be. You are what you make yourself.
You could be . . . the person you want to be.
You know that the person, deep down inside of you, knows this is true. That part of you that knows who you could be, who you want to be, who you’re meant to be.
Each one of us is the sum of what we alone have decided, or allowed ourselves to be. Once we reach adulthood, we have the opportunity to choose the kind of life we want, the type of person we want to be. Who we want to spend time with, surround ourselves with.
We make daily choices about hundreds of actions, and decisions we make. We alone decide what type of food we enjoy, what music we like, colours we prefer, who we spend our leisure time with.
You alone have the freedom to change who you are, and what you do, every single day.
“Well, Susan, I didn’t choose my life, my parents. my circumstances. So how can you say it’s my choice?”
I agree, we had very little choice as a child. As adults, we’re often already bound on paths we don’t want. But don’t let that stop you from choosing what you want to do, or be, or changing your course. Let go of that past mindset, those beliefs, excuses and boundaries you may have set up for yourself, or feel tied into.
The chains, of limiting thoughts, that had hold you a prisoner of perceived circumstance and choice. I know it’s not easy to admit. I often felt I had no choice, but I did; maybe not the choices I would have preferred, but I still had them. Once this was revealed to me, I realised I had real power; I was no longer a victim to lame limitations.
We cannot change what life throws at us, or what other people do, or say. However, we can change how we act, think and feel about our own life.
We can decide how we will live our own lives, and what we can make of ourselves.
I want to share with you 7 good reasons why you have the power to be the authentic you.
- Only you have the right gifts to live your life. You’re unique; you must develop those gifts, for they give your life meaning. Hone your gifts, every single day, so that they can be used to help others; this is how you can make a difference.
- Only you can build your confidence and self-respect. Don’t search for these from other people; you must find these yourself. You can earn confidence and self-respect by trusting yourself to do what you set out to do. By learning to have faith in yourself. By believing you are of value.
- Only you are responsible for your thoughts and actions. Not your parents, not your loved-ones, not your teachers, not your peers. Your thoughts and actions are your job, your responsibility.
- Only you have the power to motivate yourself, to dig deep and discover the reason (whatever it is) you need to focus on, to keep going when life’s hard.
- Only you can do the work, or take the steps that you need to take, towards your dream.
- Only you can make or break you. Nobody else has the power to control your mind, unless you allow them to.
- Only you have the right to decide what you want to do in life. This is your freedom: it’s why you have free will. Never enslave yourself to someone else’s will. Don’t live someone else’s agenda. Decide for yourself.
You know, deep down inside your heart, what’s right for you. You deserve to be the person you want to be. You can decide today – right now – to build the right life for you. It’s never too late to change your course. While you’re still alive and breathing, you still have time to go for your dreams.
You have 7 good reasons why I think you can be the person you want to be. I ask you to think about them. Look for your own reasons, and add to them every day.
Continue to strive doggedly to be the person you want to be. Never give up on yourself. You are here for a purpose. That purpose is to live your life to the full, to bring love, joy, peace and happiness to those around you.
In doing so, you will fulfill your life, and the life of others. That is the person you are meant to be, the person you are deep in your heart.
Be that person and live your life to the full.
Susan J McCann
PS I’d love to hear what motivates you. Please feel free to share this post.